It's no secret that Texas Hill Country wineries are some of the best in the country. That is particularly true when considering established wineries like the Driftwood Estate Winery. Driftwood Estates Winery was established in 1998 and was one of the first wineries planted in Hays County. They focus primarily on Mediterranean-style wines and have been instrumental in building the sought-after wine destination that Hill Country has become.
Today, Texas Wine Country is one of the most visited wine regions in the country. It's the fifth-largest wine-producing state in the country and home to more than 100 Texas Hill Country wineries, including Driftwood Estate Winery. This incredible winery is only a short 20-minute drive from our Wimberley, TX Bed and Breakfast, making it a fantastic place to sip and enjoy a relaxing, romantic afternoon with your sweetheart in wine country.
The Texas Hill Country is a veritable haven for wine enthusiasts worldwide - so you'll definitely want to spend at least a couple of days here indulging in wine tastings, shopping, dining out, and more. Include a stay at the best Texas Hill Country Lodging in your trip itinerary. Our Wimberley, TX Bed and Breakfast offers 13 guest rooms and cottages with uncompromising luxury and an exceptional day spa ideal for pampered getaways. Book your room today!
Wine Tasting at Driftwood Estate Winery
If you're looking for a sensational glass of small-batch wines made exclusively from Texas-grown fruit, don't miss the well-regarded Driftwood Estate Winery, one of the leading Texas Hill Country wineries worth visiting this winter. As one of the top wineries in Texas Hill Country, the wines produced by Driftwood Estate Winery are well-regarded in Hill Country.
The view you'll enjoy is equally as delicious as their wines. Driftwood Estate Winery sits on a gorgeous bluff covered in oak trees and overlooks their stunning 18-acre vineyard. Their wine-tasting facility is open daily, with reservations only required for large groups. Driftwood Estate Winery is one of the more popular Texas Hill Country wineries, so you may encounter wait times for tastings during busy weekends. Six delicious tastes of wine will only cost you $25, a fee that is more than worth it!
They also offer an on-site bistro from Friday - Sunday, which serves as an excellent place to grab lunch or small bites to pair with your wine. According to Driftwood Estate Winery, the bistro menu offers an "eclectic mix of globally inspired food prepared to compliment the Winery's wonderful line-up of wines." The bistro also offers sunset dinner experiences throughout the year, usually in the summer, which we highly recommend if you're in town for one of them.
Though Driftwood Estate Winery focuses on Mediterranean-style wines, you can find a broad range of award-winning wines to sample here. They offer everything ranging from Viognier to a luscious Cabernet Sauvignon. Within their library of wines, visitors will appreciate the distinctive taste of Texas, and that is because they source 100% of their grapes from Texas vineyards, unlike other Texas Hill Country wineries that import at least part of their grape supply.
More Great Texas Wineries to Try This Winter
Texas Wine Country is just over an hour outside of Austin and San Antonio and a four-hour drive from Dallas, Fort Worth, and Houston. Apart from Driftwood Estate Winery, you can expect to find an incredible array of wineries here offering a range of experiences - from casual and rustic to elegant and refined. Many Texas Hill Country Wineries are located near the charming and historic town of Fredericksburg, about an hour from our Hill Country Bed and Breakfast.
As you tour various Texas Hill Country wineries - especially in those moments when you need a short break from the wine - don't miss your chance to explore this area's charming small towns, each of which offers a unique atmosphere. Below, we've curated a list of some of the top-rated Texas Hill Country wineries to add to your itinerary - but, truly, it's hard to go wrong here!
- Fall Creek Vineyards is one of the more established Texas Hill Country wineries. Their first vineyard was planted in 1975, and today they produce an exceptional Sangiovese and their Salt Lick Tempranillo.
- Kuhlman Cellars is one of the leading Texas Hill Country wineries and is perhaps best known for its Alluve, which mixes Tempranillo, Mourvedre, and Grenache.
- Another of the Texas Hill Country wineries that use exclusively Texas-grown grapes is William Chris Vineyards. They've become the leading producer of Mourvedre in Texas.
- Texas Hills Vineyard serves an array of award-winning wines, with a particular focus on Italian-style wines like Pinot Grigio and Syrah.
- Bell Springs Winery near Austin is a great Texas Hill Country winery offering delicious hand-crafted wines. Between their small-production wines and delicious food, you will surely have a memorable experience here.
- Take in some beautiful Hill Country views at Pedernales Cellars, where they focus primarily on Rhone and Spanish grapes.
- Solaro Estate is located in Dripping Springs and is a leader in sustainable farming practices.
- Lost Draw Cellars in downtown Fredericksburg offers plenty of fabulous wine in addition to food and live music and most weekends.