If you love a good glass of wine, particularly when paired with great food, unbeatable scenery, and a healthy dose of Texas hospitality, then 2023 is your year to visit the best wineries in Texas Hill Country. It's one of the country's best up-and-coming wine regions, and, more importantly, it is actually where vineyards were first planted in America.
Spring and fall are two of the best times to visit the wineries in Texas Hill Country, though you can truly enjoy a wine-forward getaway here any time of year. But with so much of the year stretching out on the horizon before us, there's never been a better time to plan a visit (or two!) to the best wineries in Texas Hill Country.
The first vineyards in Texas Hill Country were established by a group of Franciscan priests in the mid-1600s. Today, that growth has only continued to the point where today, Texas is the fifth-largest wine-producing state in the country. There are more than 100 wineries in Texas Hill Country, with more calling this magical place home every year.
Whether you're new to the world of wine or a seasoned wine aficionado, there's nothing better than planning a tasting journey through a leading wine region. The only thing that can possibly make a trip to the best wineries in Texas Hill Country better is a stay at our Bed and Breakfast in Wimberley, TX! We offer 13 guest rooms and cottages with uncompromising luxury and an exceptional day spa ideal for pampered getaways. Book your room today!
2023's Top Wineries in Texas Hill Country
It's not hard to find great wine in Texas Hill Country - but when it comes to finding the best of the best, we're here to help. There are some tried and true favorites among the wineries in Texas Hill Country that find it onto our list year after year - and there are often some newly discovered gems that have come onto our radar and represent the best of the new wineries, too.
One of the best things about these wineries in Texas Hill Country - apart from the delicious wine, of course - is how easy they are to get to. The bulk of Texas Wine Country is about an hour from downtown Austin and San Antonio, which makes it an ideal weekend getaway for couples, girlfriends, and more.
You'll find about half of the wineries in Texas Hill Country in or around the bustling town of Fredericksburg, so it's an easy place to start your wine-tasting adventure. It's not necessarily the best place, though, especially if you're looking for curated destinations and fewer crowds with more intimate wine-tasting experiences.
Moreover, broadening your horizons beyond Fredericksburg allows you to explore the other charming and worthwhile Texas Hill Country towns, such as Wimberley. These towns are just as great a reason to visit as the wine! Below, we've curated our three "not to miss" wineries in Texas Hill Country for 2023, and we hope you make it out to visit at least some, if not all, of these incredible wine-loving destinations.
- Fall Creek Vineyards is one of our favorite wineries in Texas Hill Country to recommend to our guests. They are one of the oldest and most well-established wineries in the area, having planted its first vineyard in 1975. Their wines are also positively delicious, particularly their Salt Lick Tempranillo.
- Another of our favorites is Driftwood Estate Winery. They produce excellent small-batch wines using grapes grown exclusively in Texas, which gives their wines plenty of big, bold Texas flavor! Not only that, but their winery is absolutely gorgeous, providing exceptional views from a bluff overlooking the vineyard below.
- If you love tasting an extensive variety of wines, one of the top wineries in Texas Hill Country is Kuhlman Cellars. Their signature Alluve is spectacular, with a wonderful mix of Tempranillo, Mourvedre, and Grenache. However, their white blend, Calcaria blends Trebbiano, Roussanne, and Viognier and is also delicious.
7 More Incredible Wineries in Texas Hill Country
- If you're looking for one of the best newcomers to the Texas wine market, head to Ab Astris. Some of the varietals grown here are less common, which results in a truly different (and yummy!) wine-tasting experience.
- Take in some beautiful Hill Country views at Pedernales Cellars, where they focus primarily on Rhone and Spanish grapes.
- Lost Draw Cellars is another of our favorite wineries in Texas Hill Country. It's in Fredericksburg, which gives you an excellent opportunity to explore this charming town and taste some delicious wine.
- If you're a fan of Mourvedre, don't miss William Chris Vineyards. They are a leading producer of this popular varietal, and to make a wine-tasting experience here even better, they also use only grapes grown in the sunny, hot state of Texas. This also ranks as one of the most popular new wineries in Texas Hill Country - a triple threat on our list!
- If you've tried and fallen in love with natural wines, like many around the country, you'll want to make a trek out to Southold Farm + Cellar. Their wines trend to the more unconventional side of the industry, making them an attractive candidate on this year's list of top wineries in Texas Hill Country. We'd love to hear what you think!
- You might find the biggest bang for your buck at the Slate Mill Wine Collective, where there are many wineries under a single roof - the perfect tasting opportunity for those shorter on time.
- Finally, rounding out our list this year of the best wineries in Texas Hill Country is Solaro Estate. This winery is located in beautiful Dripping Springs and produces sensational wines using sustainable farming practices, something that has become an important aspect of modern-day winemaking.
If you'd rather not do all the work (and driving) to visit these wonderful wineries in Texas Hill Country, you may want to consider joining a tour. We recommend that our guests partner with Taste of the Hills wine tours, based in Wimberley. They offer two public wine tours on weekends and private tours that can be arranged individually. All tours include scenic drives and visits to the area's top Texas Hill Country wineries, like Driftwood Estate Winery, Fall Creek Vineyards, and more.
The Best Bed and Breakfast in Wimberley, TX
As you taste your way from one of these wineries in Texas Hill Country to the next, you'll need a cozy, comfortable place to rest your head. We don't recommend visiting any more than three wineries on any given day - and maybe even less than that, depending on what else your day holds. Make the most of your trip to Texas Wine Country and stay with us at our top-rated Bed and Breakfast in Wimberley, TX!
Though great wine is obviously an incredible perk of any trip to the Texas Hill Country, trips here are usually about more than that. For many, Texas Hill Country is an unparalleled opportunity to rest and reconnect on a couple's getaway - and there's no better place to do that than our Bed and Breakfast in Wimberley, TX!
From the moment you arrive, you'll see what makes us unique. Our Bed and Breakfast in Wimberley, TX offers just eight artfully appointed guest rooms and five romantic cottages - a small, boutique property that will help you immediately feel relaxed and welcomed.
In addition to luxury accommodations, we offer a day spa with various services, including facials, aromatherapy, and massages. Throughout your stay, you'll also have the opportunity to take a dip in our 45-foot lap pool or whirlpool spa. Every morning of your stay, you'll also be treated to an exceptional 3-course breakfast. If you're ready to start planning your wine country getaways this year, start by booking a room at our Wimberley Bed and Breakfast today!